Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sharon Olds: I go back to May 1937

When reading the poem you are automatically moved from current time to that of 1930's you can see how time and words change in matter of seconds. She speaks about seeing this couple who is pitiful and beautiful at the same time,emphasizes on their untouched bodies and than describes them in comparisons to paper dolls.She speaks about the bad they will go on to do if they remain together and become her parents and even though she has no real knowledge if what she would have said would make an impact she herself decides I rather live: I enjoyed this aspect because I felt even if she had said how she felt there's no guarantee they would split up.There's a sense of power and struggle but ultimately she decides to survive as most of us would.The whole poem is about her and what she sees: she says ''I see them... or I see my father'' gives a 3rd person look to the situation. Overall the poem was short and in combination of struggles within a girl who feels she has the power to undo the past....

No comments:

Post a Comment